Sunday, October 9, 2011
Statistics Proven Wrong
I did not connect as much with this weeks lecture as I have with the previous weeks. It was pleasant to here from the Dean of Education though. She made a few strong arguments that I completely agreed with. For one, the fact that statistics are largely misunderstood by people of the black race. We all automatically assume that negative facts about blacks are true and doubt it when we hear a positive fact. I too am guilty of this. We find it so easy to look down on our own race sometimes and that has to stop. We need to stop fueling the flames of black stereotypes. Another point that she made was about blacks in education. The percentage of blacks is a mere 4% I believe the dean said. Personally I can say that I have had one or maybe two black teachers before I came to Howard. Education is a thriving major and I think that our race has the potential to thrive in that field. Lastly what stuck out to me was the statistic that she provided on drug use specifically. I have had friends who have turned to drugs so thats why I partly would think blacks do it more than whites, but I was glad to hear that wasn't true. It makes me prideful to know that we are making something of our lives. I enjoyed listening to the dean and hope to hear from her in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment