Education is the key to success no matter what race you are. Minorities are the underdogs and because of that reason we need to try that much harder to rise above the stereotypes and prove that we are an intellectual force to be reckoned with. Dr. Thorton made many good points in this weeks lecture. He spoke on how Howard’s job is to continue education along with other HBCUs. “Be different so you can help.” When the speaker said this he really had me thinking. I realized that in order for us as students to make the biggest impacts that we can we have to break free from tagging along with behaviors of peers and form our own beliefs and personalities so we can rise to the same greatness as the namesakes for the majority of Howard University buildings.
To become part of the best and brightest at Howard I intend to not slack and keep with my good grades. It is hard to balance life especially when in college, but the effort is well worth it in the end. If it means giving up a bit of my social life to reach my 4.0 at the end of the semester then I am all for it. I want to become involved in campus activities and become an active part in the D.C community as a whole. There is much potential in the class of 2015. I see nothing but developing scholars when I sit in my classes and I just soak in the presence of future greatness.
I think that to be a citizen of the world means that you simply are a entity of this planet. We are all citizens of the world. The citizenship that we have in our respective countries makes us citizens of the world by default. We as a world need to unite and realize that we are all brethren. Skin color, age, location and other such factors should no longer keep people apart. We all need to gain education and pass that down to future generations so world unity can eventually be achieved.
There are many deceased representative thinker that represent Howard, but I choose to use Dr.Carr as an example. I feel that he is one of the greatest minds in Howard University and many other places. His work in his life so far inspires me to branch out to younger kids when I actually make it in life and to share the knowledge that I have gained through the years to help them further themselves. I have only known Dr.Carr since the initial lecture that he spoke during, but since them I hang on to the words that he speaks. I wish to inspire the future generation the way that he inspires the class of 2015.
In closing, I took in much from this weeks lecture. Mainly the fact that we can’t ever stop pushing and need to strive until we prove naysayers wrong and attain greatness.
No comments:
Post a Comment