Sunday, October 9, 2011

10.6.11 - Dr. Leslie Fenwick's Lecture

Dr. Fenwick's lecture was very informing and gave me a lot of notes to jot down. She began the class giving a miniture quiz with statistical based questions: What is the percentage of crack attributible to white people? 68%, I wasn't suprised at all by these results. What is the percentage of powder crack attributable to white people? 72%, again something that wasn't a suprise to me. The statistic that blew mind mind was when she asked: Which 12th grade subgroup mostly believes drugs are unacceptable? I was one of the students who thought asians were going to be the answer. Honestly the last subgroup on my mind were blacks and after Dr. Fenwick said that was the answer, I felt kind of bad for thinking so little of black people, epecially since I am black. This lecture opened my eyes and made me go to my room and research more statistics on our community, most of what I had know clue about. I plan to keep up with such stats, because the comminuty is always changing and on day when I'm old I'll tell teach my children and grandchildren the statistics of their community, so they won't ever belittle themselves or any other race.

No comments:

Post a Comment