This weeks lecture was very interesting to me. Whenever I think of segregation I always think of the negative side of the topic. Sit ins, walks, schools all the negative stuff. Our speaker spoke on a topic that made me see segration in a whole different. In the times of segregation you had the feeling of protection. Education was taken very seriously for all of the young black kids in the segregated communities. With having having educated children it was the weapon that the Black community used against oppression at the time. I found this to be very interesting because the Black community were doing things to prove that they weren't the ignorant people they were looked on the be. Kids at the time weren't allowed to be uneducated; whether you had the money or not people in the community made sure everyone attended school
One thing that I took out of this seminar was that the increase of declince of black young people started afer desegregation. WHAT!? This was amazing to hear because I always thought tat since blacks received second class schooling their education wasnt so good. Yet once they were desegregated their education value only seemed to drop more. This made me question whether or not desegregation in schools really brought on much of a change for blacks in schol. Although we live in the Capitol of the United States it also has the highest rate of uneducated young black people as well. This saddened me because I'm at the mecca yet if I was walking down the streets of DC I wouldn't be able to tell.
As a community we need to figure out a way that we can tackle on this issue and bring a change. Thats the homework that I'm going to assign to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment