Saturday, September 24, 2011

2nd Post: Rembembrance and Acknowledgement: When does it start?

Thelma Mubaiwa
@02663020
Freshman Seminar
R: 6:10-7:00

Well first of all before I begin this blog I just have to say WOW! Dr. Carr is such an amazing individual. I had the opportunity to hear this lecture twice and I was amazed that I was drawn in the same way o had been the first time I experienced this lecture. Dr. Carr said something in the lecture that clicked with me and he completely encompasses. He said that, wisdom is knowing what to do with knowledge. He has wisdom
When I left my family in San Diego I left the physical Mbongi we formed there only keeping the mental. I wasn’t worried about meeting people but I was worried about being accepted. I have now create an Mbongi so strong with my fellow Bison’s that I’m not even homesick. I’ve been away from home for almost a month yet I’m not homesick because the people I’ve met here have made so feel so comfortable and almost loved to soon.

Before coming to Howard I always called people ignorant for always denying their African roots. I was born in Africa so in a sense it has always bothered me that people were so against claiming any African roots they have. What I learned in this lecture is that people aren’t educated. If you don’t know about something then how can you claim it? From the time that slavery began we were trained to forget. Ever since slavery ended there have been many methods used in replacement of the slavery back then. We have been mis-educated to think in that mindset. To disconnect ourselves from the people we truly are and where our roots truly originate from. This is what I would call Mental Slavery.

From the beginning of time OUR people have been the ones responsible for many things that we have never received credit for. Once again we’re trained to forget. It all started in Africa, people come from all walks of life but it’s all traced back to Africa. They learned how to adapt and live in this world and because of them we live the way we do today. I was truly amazed to learn that we created the usage of language, alphabet, and numbers. Hieroglyphics are the oldest form of writing used and was created in Egypt. Through this numbers, alphabet, language developed. CAN I GET AN UH HMMM!

My dream is that one day people will be able to acknowledge what an amazing people we are. Shouldn’t have to be ashamed to say yes, my ancestors were born in Africa. To speak up proudly and say I have African blood running through my veins. To stop forgetting and start learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment