On Thursday, Dr. G's lecture was titled: "Omoluabi: Self Actualization and Communal Responsibility". I feel as though everything I spoke on tied in to having a good character and showing respect. One thing that stood out to me this past Thursday was that "knowledge, wisdom, and intellect" were all used in both Dr. G and Dr. Carr's lectures. Those three nouns play a big part in the human society. I like how Dr. G told the story of Iwa to show the significance of how character can get lost. In the story, Iwa means character. Iwa was the wide of Orunmila, the God of Wisdom. Surru, the God of patience, was the father of Iwa. Orunmila mistreated Iwa and eventually Iwa left. After Iwa left, Orunmila lost everthing he had, so he looked for Iwa. After taking in the story and thinking about what it means to me, I came to the conclusion that Suuru being the God of patience and Iwa's father, Iwa had patience and probably put up with Orunmila's mistreatment for a while before leaving. Iwa meaning character, Orunmila probably didn't know that she played a big part in his life. Though Orunmila was the God of Wisdom, after losing Iwa, he lost everything. Having great wisdom, intellect, and or knowledge are great, but without character, you have nothing.
No comments:
Post a Comment