Sunday, November 13, 2011

Early Thoughts of Freshman Seminar

As a graduating senior this blog may be a bit different from most other blogs. I do however recall being excited my first week of college. After one week of class I thought college was going to be a platform upon which and from which many of my life dreams would be actualized.

I expect freshman seminar to very an integrated experience among academic fields that we the students would benefit from greatly. I expect that since the team is comprised of so many great and diverse people that it will be a powerful class. I expect to grow intellectually from this class and have a more integrated understanding of the world through African eyes. I also suspect that it will serve to reinforce a lot that I have been taught as a Howard University student. I also expect a lot of discussion.

The following lectures seem most interesting to me:
* Learning, Wisdom, and The African World Experience
* Abandonment and Dismemberment: “Something Torn and New
* “The Eloquence of Scribes”: Initiation, Expectations and Mastery – Continuing the Legacy of Howard University.

I feel most comfortable with the lecture “Research and Methodology: Inscription as Liberating Practice”. As an Anthropology and Art History double major student I have been through many a research project. I am looking forward to this lecture to hear if there is anything new that I can learn from it. One of my life goals is to write about Caribbean Artists and Spirituality. I have been doing research on the interconnectedness of many aspects of life including cultural and physical environment and its effect on art and Spirituality and also how these affect the cultural and physical environment.

I believe that even though I am a senior the goals of this class will meet and contribute greatly to my academic goals. The freshman seminar syllabus states that it “… encourages students to become engaged participants in the intellectual and cultural life of African peoples throughout the Diaspora by exploring this rich history and legacy and this legacy’s vibrant contemporary work and institutional life.” I am already very much an engaged participant and I believe this class will re affirm my commitment to the writing of histories from the perspective of the empowered Diasporas’ perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment